It is a blood pump that connects to the left ventricle of the diseased heart to help the ailing heart's pumping function and assist in restoring a better quality of life.
It can also be used as a bridge to heart transplant and possibly as a bridge to recovery, where it may allow a deteriorating heart an opportunity to recuperate.
VentrAssist™ has only one moving part - a hydrodynamically suspended impeller.
It has been designed to have no wearing parts or cause blood damage.
It weighs just 298 grams (10oz) and measures 60mm (2.5 inches) in diameter, making it suitable for both children and adults.
The implanted parts of the VentrAssist system use materials which are fully biocompatible including titanium alloys.
Its components are light, strong, non-toxic and highly resistant to degradation within the body.
The VentrAssist is an outstanding advance over older heart assist devices.
Its unique combination of features and benefits include:
- small size
- patented hydrodynamicaly suspended impeller
- diamond-like carbon coating on blood contacting surfaces
- fully redundant back-up motor drive, controller and processor
- outstanding biocompatibility
- assists the natural heart which is not removed
- no wearing parts
- advanced information management allows remote monitoring and logging of critical data