Studies have demonstrated that Trisodium Citrate (TSC) is highly effective as a catheter locking solution.(1,2,3,4) In addition to being an anticoagulant, TSC has demonstrated antibacterial activity across a broad spectrum of microbes.(1,2) Another study, commenting on TSC’s anticoagulant character, found a dramatically reduced incidence of thrombolytic intervention in tunnelized hemodialysis catheters.(1)
* Most importantly and most recently, Weijmer, et al (4), in a multi-centered, prospective, randomized comparison with heparin and TSC, demonstrated clear superiority of TSC over heparin.
Duralock-C over heparin
Central venous catheters are usually locked with heparin after treatment. Clinical practice and leading publications show that heparin promotes the growth of biofilm in the catheter and promotes the growth of bacteria.(2) Heparin also generates bleeding risks after catheter insertion and after catheter locking.
Based on our long experience, and on our leading contacts with preeminent physicians, we developed DuraLock-C™.
DuraLock-C™ is a concentrated trisodium citrate solution, which has been shown to greatly reduce the incidence of catheter related infections.(1,4)
DuraLock-C™ prevents catheter related clotting(1,3), maintaining efficient blood flow rates. Clinical practice shows a reduction of at least 70% of the use of thrombolitic agents like Urokinase/TPA.
DuraLock-C™ prevents the formation of catheter lumen biofilm. Biofilm contributes to catheter related bacteremia.
Features & Benefits:
- Anticoagulant / Antibacterial - Fewer catheter withdrawals due to complications.
- Safety - Lower rate of catheter related bacteremia.
- Needleless draw/luer lock termination - Convenient to the care giver and safer to prepare.
- Dating (24 months) - Greater shelf life.