Recently a large allergy practice evaluated FeNO (Fractional exhaled Nitric Oxide) measurement with NIOX® by testing 50 asthma patients.
Initial treatment evaluation included a physical exam, spirometry and standard asthma assessments.1
36 per cent of treatment recommendations were substantially altered following the FeNO test. 1
- Single centre, single-visit, observational study of 50 subjects aged 7-60 years
- Following a standard asthma assessment, including history, physical exam, spirometry and asthma control test (ACT), health care providers (HCPs) were asked to estimate airway inflammation and make treatment recommendations
- FeNO results were then given to the HCPs and they were given the opportunity to modify treatment plans based on the FeNO results
Regular FeNO* testing of asthma patients with NIOX®, measures allergic airway inflammation (Th2 driven) and helps to:
- Reveal if your patient will benefit from ICS** treatment.
- Optimise ICS dose and reduce exacerbations up to 50 per cent. 2,3,4
- Detect patient non-adherence to ICS. 5
While improving asthma outcomes 2,3,4 and reducing costs. 6
- LaForce et al, ERS Annual congress 2013, Abstract number 850479. Observational study in a single practice.
- Powell H, Murphy VE, Taylor DR, et al. Management of asthma in pregnancy guided by measurement of fraction of exhaled nitric oxide: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2011;378(9795):983-990.
- Peirsman E, Carvelli T, Hage P, Hanssens L, Pattyn L, Raes M, Sauer K, Vermeulen F, Desager K. Exhaled Nitric Oxide in childhood allergic asthma management a randomised controlled trial. Pediatric Pulmonology, 2013.
- Syk J, Malinovschi A, Johansson G, Unden A, Andreasson A, Lekander M, Alving K. Anti-inflammatory Treatment of Atopic Asthma Guided by Exhaled Nitric Oxide: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013.
- Beck-Ripp J, Griese M, Arenz S, Köring C, Pasqualoni B, Bufler P. Changes of exhaled nitric oxide during steroid treatment of childhood asthma. Eur Respir J. 2002;19(6):10151019.
- Lester D, Mohammad A, Leach EE, Hernandez PI, Walker EA. An investigation of asthma care best practices in a community health center. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2012;23(3 suppl):255-264.