Considering investing in an electric mobility scooter or an electric wheelchair attachment? Read on to learn about our top 10 tips in buying Electric Mobility rides.
Once you are experiencing deterioration and limitations in your ability to move around, you may consider investing in getting an electric mobility ride. The use of mobility rides (like electric scooters and electric wheelchair attachment) has shown improvement in a person’s social participation, personal abilities and overall satisfaction in life. However, before you buy an electric scooter, for example, you should put some effort into thinking if it will surely add value to your life.
Your electric mobility scooter is known to be hand-operated by nature. It has a steering column that permits the rider to move forward or turn in various directions as well as to go in reverse. This is best recommended for people with walking difficulties and disabilities.
The number of people with limited mobility who are using mobility scooters has significantly grown recently. Most electric scooters are used and driven by different persons – an individual with a physical and medical disability and injury. This would simply include anybody with difficulty in moving around or unable to walk.
For many individuals with limited mobility, an electric mobility scooter is a credible alternative to the usual wheelchair. A lot of people may prefer a power scooter to a wheelchair because of the lighter, visually attractive, and more compact for better control and maneuverability.
We will have a closer look at our tips on how to find the best electric mobility ride or power scooter for you.
We will look at mobility scooter features, their value as mobility aids, and other information to consider when choosing a mobility scooter. Below are some of the tips to ponder on when looking for a power scooter:
1. Take a look into how the mobility scooter was made.
The construction of the e-scooter will surely affect the performance of the model. You should look into the batteries, drive unit, hand rests, and controls as well as the seats (both front and rear). Remember, that the rear-wheel-drive unit is the preferred type for rugged hills and terrains for better grip or traction. Also, look into the ground clearance, size, and turning radius of the e-scooter which directly affects the controllability of the power scooter.
2. Think of a comfortable and safe riding experience when buying an electric scooter.
Make sure that the electric scooter will meet the safe base unit dimensions. To ensure the needs of the rider are met the base unit dimensions and construction should be carefully considered. Also, take a look into how your feet rest while on it. Make sure that the feet are comfortable and well accommodated. This adds stability and easy maneuverability of the electric scooter. It is best that you choose an electric scooter that comes with adjustable rests and arms as well as footrests ( this will be useful for individuals with leg braces). Also, do not forget about protective accessories recommended for e-scooter users ( Leg capes, scooter cover, or scooter capes to name a few examples).
3. Check out the safety provisions of the power scooter of your choice.
Electric mobility scooters must be safe with stability while going through sharp turns and curves. Choose a model that comes with an anti-tip feature on its wheels to achieve control and stability.
4. The brakes of the e-scooter of your choice must be reliable.
Ensure that the rear-wheel-drive comes with an electronic braking system. Find a model that has the capability of engaging the brakes while the unit is being driven in reverse or forward. Also, you should consider one that comes with electromagnetic regenerative brakes that are capable of slowing down the scooter once the controls are released.
5. Try the unit before you make a purchase.
Always do the test drive when possible. Take the mobility scooter before you buy it. If there is an accessible mobility e-rideable, try visiting their showroom. Sit and try different models as much as possible. This will ensure your possibility of getting the brand that will suit all your needs and preferences.
6. The seating of electronic scooters must be considered carefully.
Choose the model with head and armrest. Also, include seat padding with maximum comfort for long rides. Remember. The fabric cover is more comfortable than vinyl ones.
7. Power seats are a huge help.
Choose an e-scooter model which comes with an adjustable seat. This is very handy for the rider to mount and dismount the e-scooter. Although this may seem to be an added cost (and it will drain the battery) it will be a huge help.
8. Speed and stability should be given attention.
For those individuals who are into travelling and spending more time outdoors, you should opt for a solid type of scooter that can withstand rough terrain and uneven ground fuss-free. Look into speed with stability all the time.
9. Before you go or drive on the road, you have to be ready.
When you travel on your mobility scooter on pavements or grass as well as roads, be familiar with the applied local laws. Choose a scooter that runs in an average of 8MPH and must be built with taillights and headlights.
10. Make sure that the e-scooter is comfortable for your body.
You need to determine if the scooter is suitable for your body type. This is for the fact that scooters can assist a person with a limited range of mobility in achieving a different level of physical independence. For people with problems in sitting upright, look for more stable models. A 4-wheel electric mobility scooter is the most recommended choice. Also, you can look into swivelling seats for easy access.
Tips In Maintaining Mobility Scooters
Below are some insights on how to keep your mobility scooter at its optimum performance:
- Avoid getting it wet. Keep it dry no matter what. You are dealing with an electrically powered mobility ride. Any exposure to water can ruin or corrode its parts. For those riders who are spending time outside, make sure that you use covers to keep it from getting wet. Storage must be waterproof.
- Keep your e-scooter mobility clean. Give extra effort in washing or wiping off any amount of dirt or mud. Avoid driving your electronic scooter over muddy, wet and gritty terrain. This will possibly damage the motor and the moving parts of your scooter.
- Make it a habit to check on your tyres before you leave. Optimal pressure must be maintained for mobility scooters with pneumatic tyres. The tyre pressure varies. Thus, you need to validate it with your manufacturer. Keep in mind to check the tyres for signs of wear and tear. This will need a replacement to ensure the safety of the rider.
- For electric mobility scooters to be used on the road, check the lights very well. Road safety for e-riders includes a functional taillight and headlight. Always keep your lights working all the time.
- The brakes are really important for safety purposes. Assess the brakes well. If you feel any changes in the strength or grip of the brake, you should have it inspected as soon as possible.
- You should bring the e-scooter to a service center frequently. We strongly recommend that you should bring your scooter to maintenance service providers every year. You need to check the manual for the instructions in terms of guarantees and service warrantees.
Although the debate on whether to buy online or offline is on, it is best that you think it over very well. We really recommend that you purchase an electric mobility scooter in your locality. This is because you need some after-sales services and guidance whenever your e-scooter has arrived. There will be various questions that an expert merchant can only handle and manage.
If you are wondering where to find certified brands for electric mobility scooters, you can check E-Ride Solutions extensive inventory of top and reliable brands in the market. The site can definitely accommodate various inquiries and concerns in selecting the best e—rideable ( e-bikes, e-hover boards, and electronic unicycles) apart from the e-scooters.
Having the ability to move around comfortably and easily despite a person’s limited range of movement, is very important. This means a better quality of life. Thus, you should not be afraid of investing in one. It will allow you more independence and even gain some boost in your confidence as an individual.
If you are buying a mobility scooter as a gift, you should make sure that the user will be able to transfer or lift the scooter into a vehicle for easy transport.
An e-scooter is your ticket to achieving freedom. When you invest in an electronic mobility ride, it is an investment that you might enjoy for several years to come. Thus, you should take the time into researching what will suit you best to save you from being frustrated afterwards.