Everybody benefits from regular exercise. If you have diabetes, or are at risk of diabetes it plays an important role in keeping you healthy.1
Every Australian adult aged 18-64 should commit to at least 30 minutes of activity each day - as recommended by the Department of Health.2
Any kind of physical activity uses energy (calories). The more work the activity takes, the more calories you burn.
Here are 5 tips to help you burn more calories everyday:
- Park your car further away from your destination and walk briskly. Walking a minute burns more than 70% of calories than standing3
- Take the stairs instead of the lift or elevator. Taking a set of 12-step stairs burn 3 times more calories than standing4
- Slip in a few exercises while you are watching TV e.g. sit ups, squats, leg raises, push ups, resistance band exercise
- Doing household chores, such as gardening, mowing the lawn
- Stand up more e.g. in the bus/train , in a meeting, dr's appointment, talking on the phone, watching TV. Standing for a minute burns more than 30% calories than sitting. Try standing on one foot for as long as you can hold to work on your legs, core muscles and improve your balance.3
Small changes can make a big difference in your health, make it a habit to be more active everyday!
This information is provided as general information only by Air Liquide Healthcare. If you feel unwell for any reason we recommend you seek the advice and assistance of a General Practitioner.
- 2015. Exercise. National Diabetes Services Scheme. 4/7/2019 <https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/exercise>
- 2018.Physical Inactivity.Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. 5/7/2019 <https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/australias-health/australias-health-2018/contents/indicators-of-australias-health/physicial-inactivity>
- 2018. Ways to burn more calories every day.Medline Plus, NIH, U.S. National Library of Medicine. 5/7/2019. <https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000894.htm>
- Bumgardner, M. 2019. Take the stairs to stay fit and healthy.Very Well Fit. 5/7/2019<https://www.verywellfit.com/taking-the-stairs-3435081>