Tax tips for Australian businesses
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) has launched a new campaign to help Australian businesses meet their tax obligations.
The social media and promotional campaign provides business owners with practical tips to increase awareness of their tax rights and obligations and make it easier to comply. It also provides information on support available from the ATO for business owners.
With New Year resolutions in full swing, the first stage of the campaign focuses on tax resolutions to ensure businesses have the help they need to become more productive, efficient and profitable in 2014.
Resolution 1 – lighten your tax debt weight in 2014
- Avoid penalties and interest by lodging and paying on time
- Contact the ATO if you can't pay on time
- Keep the GST you collect separate from your business account
Resolution 2 – give your business a health check
- Check your systems and records are in order to avoid mistakes on your BAS
- Leave paper behind and keep records electronically
- Use the ATO's business viability tool on ato.gov.au to help assess the financial performance of your business
Resolution 3 – better tax habits
- Don't be afraid of the ATO – ask for help and boost your business performance
- Always lodge your BAS on time even if you don't have anything to report
- Avoid the paper shuffling – lodge your BAS online
Have your say...
The approval of your comment is at the discretion of this article's publisher. Write your comment with the following in mind to ensure the highest likelihood of it being approved:
- No promotional undertones
- No use of profanity
- Good spelling, grammar and layout
- Check punctuation, language and missing words
- No use of aggression
- No unsubstantiated claims
We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.
Your name is used alongside Comments.