High blood pressure (or hypertension) is often referred to as the “silent killer” because it can be symptomless, but it causes serious health issues.
Positive lifestyle changes are often one of the first topics healthcare professionals bring up when discussing blood pressure management.
Here are a few recommendations on how to improve your blood pressure:
- Practice healthy eating habits
- Reduce your weight
- Reduce your sodium intake
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Practice an active lifestyle
TRY SOME HEART HEALTHY RECIPES:
This recipe is great because you can customize based on what you like and what you have in your kitchen. Focus on low fat, whole foods, and dream up your own creation with our recipe as inspiration!
- 2 c. cooked brown rice
- 6 oz. cooked boneless, skinless chicken, diced
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- Optional garnishes: cumin, salt and pepper, cilantro, low fat sour cream, tortilla strips, lime wedges, hot sauce, other veggies (like corn, bell peppers or jalapenos)
- Toss all ingredients except garnishes in a large bowl.
- Top with desired garnishes and serve.
- Makes two servings.
Soy Edamame with Sesame Seeds
Adding edamame to your DASH diet is great because it is a whole food that allows you to get some snacking in without missing chips and other junk foods. Plus, it’s high in protein! This recipe is also a great party appetizer.
- 16 oz. edamame pods, frozen
- 2 T. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 1 t. rice wine vinegar
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- Microwave or steam the edamame pods according to package directions.
- While the edamame is cooking, combine the low sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice wine vinegar in a large bowl.
- When the edamame is fully cooked, drain the edamame in a strainer to remove any excess liquid.
- Toss the edamame with the ingredients in the bowl to coat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
- Serving size: 8 oz. Makes two servings