Getting to sleep can be a challenge at times with so many things on your mind and your brain won’t turn off. I think everyone at some stage has had this problem!
Here at Respirico we have put together some tricks to help you get to sleep.
1 -Make sure you have a comfortable pillow and mattress! If you are finding you are fighting with your pillow to get it comfortable, that’s when you know you should invest in a new one. Likewise with your mattress and a new mattress can also help with posture.
2 - Avoid that afternoon power nap!
3 -Try relax and wind down before going to bed! Sit your tooshy down and watch some TV or read a book. Some even say a warm glass of milk helps them to relax before bed.
4 - Avoid using your phone,computer or/and tablets (anything bright) at least an hour before going to bed. The lights from these can keep you up all night!
5 - Try and do some exercise that day (but not at the expense of your sleep). 20-30 minute power walk can do the trick, even if its around the office.
6 - Design your room environment to be sleep friendly. Free from any noises and lights.
7 - Keep a sleep routine and try to get to bed at the same time each night.
8 - The last trick is breathing exercises. Try the 4-7-8 technique:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound (if your sleeping next to someone maybe skip the whoosh).
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat three more times for a total of four cycles.
Hope these tricks can help you sleep happy!
If you have any other tricks to getting to sleep, we would love to know.