The 2013 guideline 'Storage Design for Sterile and Non-sterile Stock Storage for New and Refurbished Healthcare facilities' states that the old style "Solid Plastic container systems are prone to collecting dust and contaminants. The use of stainless steel wire or plastic/polypropylene baskets is recommended as these will still provide the same storage solution and flexibility, but are less prone to dust and contaminant collection and can be put through washer disinfectors and sterilizers."
But what does this mean for your facility and how will you facilitate the change over? Australian company Unistor Group have developed the Surgi-Bin, a wire medical storage bin that hangs on the same louvre panels as plastic bins and stacks conveniently on shelves. The SurgiBin closely matches plastic bin sizes, minimises dust accumulation and lets you keep the same stock in the same spot. No relocation, no searching, no confusion!
Easy changeover from "old style" plastic bins
- The 5 SurgiBin™ sizes closely match old plastic bin sizes.
- When you update, stock stays in the same sized bin in the same spot i.e. no search for new locations, no confusion.
- SurgiBins™ stack or hang like plastic bins.
- SurgiBins™ have an easy to clean silver chrome wire finish.
Q: How does SurgiBin™ help control infection?
A: Simply by preventing accumulation of microbe-harbouring dust.
Q: How does SurgiBin™ fight dust?
A: SurgiBin™ fights dust with a 3 pronged approach:
1. The metal construction of SurgiBin™ dissipates static electricity that attracts dust. On the other hand, old style plastic bins hold the charge and attract dust.
2. The smooth chrome finish of SurgiBins™ help prevent dust particles gaining a "mechanical" foothold on the bin.
3. Larger diameter wire and open construction prevents the entrapment of particles common in closely postioned structures or gauze.